As I blogged about yesterday, we took the boys to the restaurant in Huntersville that has Josh approved chicken with an ice cream shoppe inside. Josh was in an odd mood.
A) He slept most of the way as we drove from Columbia to Huntersville. Andrew was so excited to see his new home and see new things, he was wide awake. Josh is always awake. So I knew something was up. (Sure enough he woke up the next morning with a fever....so I was right with that!)
B) Josh is just quirky anyway. I think it is part of the Asperger's, part DNA, part personality. He gets in these moods and we know it is not going to be a "good" day for Josh.
So Mike and I figured, we better eat and get out of that restaurant quick like.
The waitress asks, "What would you like to drink?"
Josh says, "Rootbeer."
Andrew says, "I would like a sprite please."
Josh looks at him and says, "When did you get so polite and nice?"
Andrew generally is polite. Josh....well there is room for improvement. Lots of room. He doesn't quite get the "small talk" and "niceties" of our society sometimes. Asperger's is part of that as well.
So we eat with little problem, which surprised us. At the end though, Josh tells us we should tip the waitress $15. We have no idea how he came up with that number.
We ask why?
"She is our first waitress as we move to Huntersville."
Josh had just gotten $5 from his visit with his dad for some reason during the weekend.
So we sort of jokingly tell Josh if he wants to tip the girl his $5, we will give $10. Frankly the bill was going to be enough a $10 tip was appropriate anyway. We didn't expect him to do it.
The kid did.
After our bill came and we paid, he walked up to the girl and gave her his $5. He thanked her and told her she was our first waitress since we moved to Huntersville that day. She was surprised as she had just gotten the tip from us.
Josh was happy because she then offered Josh a balloon. She put the helium in it and he was thrilled. I am sure he was thinking....if I keep tipping, I get free stuff LOL.
As Josh walked off, I stopped to tell her that was his own money and that he wanted to do that for her. She was mighty impressed.
I must admit I was too. Josh looks out for Josh. It is rare he does things like that. So I was proud of him.
Unfortunately, by the time we walked to the car in the parking lot, he had lost his grasp on the balloon. We watched as it floated away into the sky!
So Josh lost his reward for being so nice.
But I suspect that girl will remember Josh. The restaurant is within walking distance of where we live, it has good food, so we will be there a lot.
So maybe he will get another balloon another time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a message and tell me what you think =) Don't forget to sign your name so I know who you are!