Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Move, The Secret, and My First Outing

Having been in Columbia for most of my adult life, I have to tell you....I definitely took somethings for granted. It is so strange moving and having no idea where you are. It is the little things.....which side of the road do you need to be on to get back on the highway? Which side of town is the "not so good side?" What is the news channel that everyone watches? (WIS in Columbia ;) What is the radio station? (I miss Steve FM ;p). Is there a Vista type place here that is not in downtown Charlotte or is downtown Charlotte the Vista place here? (I guess the Epicenter is that type of place in Charlotte.) Where can I go to get my haircut without it being cut so bad I cry for a week? What are the good local bands to go listen to? Where is the Corner Pocket here? And more importantly, does that Corner Pocket have a drinking club with a reading problem LOL.

Mike said he had the benefit of me when he moved to Columbia. You know we met a week after he moved there and were inseparable from the getgo....so I showed him anything he needed to know. Now, we are both here.....no clue LOL. I guess it is no clue together, so that makes it better =)

I gather it just takes time to learn all of this. I have to wonder when it will be more like home though. How long does that take? A month? 6? A year?? At what point do you associate yourself more with where you are then where you came from????

So, The Secret.

I had heard about this book, but never got around to getting it and reading it. While moving, Mike found it in his stash of books. I guess someone gave it to him. He said it seemed like a book I would read. You know, the self help, analyze your life to death sort of thing LOL. So I read it by the pool Tuesday and Wednesday. (I am a fast reader and it was a quick read.) Pretty interesting concept. I think it is basic psychology, but it is easy to forget the basics when life gets in the way.

The gist....whatever your thoughts are focused on that is what will happen. I guess sort of self fulfilling prophecy. If you focus on negative, you will bring negative to your life. Then the reverse is true. It says you can think yourself into being rich, thin, etc. I am not quite sure about that part. However, the thinking yourself into happiness despite the situation you are in. That I can grab onto. When you realize that YOU control your own happiness and do not depend on others to give it to you, I think that unlocks many things in your life. Sure many situations suck, but you can learn to be content despite the situation. Take the lessons you need so that you can move on.

Shoot...that whole theory got me out of the crappy abusive marriage I was in (well that and a lot of money on therapy ;) But it also got me what I wanted. I knew what kind of guy I wanted and what I expected out of a relationship (something I had no clue about when I was young, stupid and married to my ex). I got everything down to every little detail. Knowing what I wanted, expecting no less, settling for no less....and I now have the fabulous Mike to show for it.

Hmmm....maybe you can think your way into good relationship. I rubbed the genie lamp of life and Mike came. If I can rub that genie lamp and win the lotto.....I will try and let you all know ;)

My Outing.....I think the real miracle here is that I found the place and returned home without getting lost. I had no need for GPS in SC since I knew where things were. Mike insisted I would need it here, so he got me the GPS thing. Damn thing had a "lost signal." So the piece of crap would not direct me. It had the directions on the screen, but wasn't telling me where and when to turn. Shoot....I could have mapquested and printed the friggin directions for that. I was less than thrilled with GPS at that point.

After a couple of "Damn....turned to soon. How do I get back?" I figured it out. Not only that, but I got there early and first. You know me.....punctual. I have to be punctual. So I was pleased with myself for having no clue where I was, without much help from GPS, and still got there a little early.

So friggin early in fact, I wasn't sure I was at the right place. Where were all of the cars? Eh....turned out I am just really anal about being a little early, so I got there before most people. Well, everyone except Erica....but it was her house =)

Regardless, I can report back that yes Vodka is cool with the group. As a matter of fact preferred. So that is good news ;) I am thinking I should have worn the elf hat too....you know dive right in, but decided against it. Have to wait for Chris to come to town next weekend so Huntersville can get the full effect of the Elf Hat Posse! (Kidding.....kind of.....)

Side note: Mike and I went to the Irish Fest in Charlotte last weekend. I said to Mike, "Hey, I can wear my elf hat!" Mike said, "I am not sure about that. Those people may think you are making fun of them and we don't want to get our asses kicked out first weekend in Charlotte."

Hmmm....good point.

So we go.

Damnit.

Should have wore the elf hat. Most of those people were so drunk, I would have fit right in with my elf hat. Hell...I would have been the hit of Charlotte with that bad boy on! But, I was tired, hurting from unpacking, and just plain exhausted. Really wasn't in an elf hat mood. So next year.....Irish fest in Charlotte....the elf hat goes.

Frankly, I think Mike is hoping that hat will just disappear someday LOL. Chris and I worked long and hard to get those hats though......for those that don't know....the elf hat thing is a huge family joke and a funny ass story I will have to share. Here is a link to my brother and me in our hats though......

Elf Hat Posse Come on, tell me those things aren't cool LOL.

So back to the outing. Everyone was right. Bunco is really easy to play. Not that I was any good, mind you =)

It was grand meeting new people. A bit strange as I have no idea where I am, so when they talk about places, schools, etc....I have no idea LOL. I guess after hearing those things repeatedly in different situations, I will eventually catch on. With that, and all of the names. I suspect over the next few months as my head spins with all of this new info, I will be apologizing a lot for forgetting names. I am thinking all of that will click into place soon enough as well.

I guess the big thing was that I had moved here less than a week and was all ready out and about looking for people and things. Some were rather impressed with this. Shoot....that is just me though. Dive right in and find the adventures. I will never learn about the area or meet people if I don't dive in. So good, bad or indifferent, I will just dive in ;)

Liked the women, seemed like a fun group (and as I pointed out....if vodka is good with them, how bad can it be LOL.) So I will definitely do bunco again.

As for now....if I can figure out what lane to get into to get back on the highway just for my exit....I will be ok. Maybe that is my goal for today. Learn that, so it is second nature ;)

Baby steps, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message and tell me what you think =) Don't forget to sign your name so I know who you are!